Child support is something that brings up a lot of stress, anxiety, and frustration for both parties. The parent who is paying the child support may feel stressed out because they have to pay a certain amount of money until the child turns 19 years of age. The parent who is receiving the child support counts on that money to care for the child. This can mean anything from buying new clothes to paying medical bills or purchasing good food to ensure they grow strong and healthy.

The goal of child support is to ensure the child lives a comfortable life as if you lived in a dual-income household. Child support is supposed to represent the same standard of living. It’s not a luxury, but a fundamental right to ensure the child is cared for accordingly. Without the money, the custodial parent could be dealing with a stressful situation because making ends meet can be very difficult on one salary. Not paying child support can be detrimental to the living standards of the child. Child support is determined by the income, amount of parenting for each parent, any special needs, and health and childcare costs. Child support isn’t meant to take up entire paychecks, but to pay for the necessities of a child.

At The Law Office Of Ronald Kossack, we strive to ensure that every client we work with gets the desired outcome for their situation. Our law office has decades of experience in family law. Whether you’re going through a divorce and need a reliable lawyer or you need a modification for an already existing order, our family law lawyers can help. If you are experiencing child custody or support issues, then we urge you to contact our family law office to speak to a lawyer.

When A Parent Fails To Make A Child Support Payment

In today’s blog, we’ll be covering the question of what happens when a parent doesn’t pay child support. Whether you’ve gone through a rocky divorce and one parent is paying child support for the kids to ensure they are cared for or you’ve had a stressful situation with an ex-partner that resulted in parenting time and custody, it’s vital that you are aware of the laws around child support and custody. By knowing these family laws, you’ll make sure to protect your child and yourself. If one parent is not paying child support, then the court of Arizona Department Of Child Support Services may get involved.

When you pay child support, you have to pay the proper amount that’s administered by the court. This money must be paid according to the order and it must be paid on time. Child support payments, depending on the order, may be paid every week or every two weeks until the end of the order. If the noncustodial parent (the parent who pays child support) doesn’t pay the amount, then he or she will be violating the order.

When the payment is missed, then an enforced order will occur and you can get Arizona Department Of Child Support Services or a court involved to ensure that you have the necessary financial support that the child needs. Missing a child support payment isn’t just violating a court order, it can also be the difference in your child getting what he or she needs to live a comfortable life.

What Are The Next Steps When A Parent Doesn’t Pay?

When the payment is missed, then you have the choice of getting DCSS involved or the court. It’s up to you on how you’d like to proceed. The DCSS is a free option that will help you automatically due to your situation. The Department of Child Support Services has a duty to ensure a child is protected and safe. If the child isn’t getting the necessary care due to financial stability, then that’s something DCSS can help with. DCSS is able to help you get the money for child support because they can issue income withholding orders, seize bank accounts, and even collect income tax refunds. However, before any action can take place, DCSS will need to contact the noncustodial parent as well as notify them on how the challenge the actions.

On the other hand, you can hire a family law attorney who will go to court and help to enforce the child support order. The order will be changed and a new one will be issued to collect the overdue payments of the original order. Going through the court and hiring a family lawyer will cost more, but in the long run, it can be more beneficial because you’re getting the money faster and you’re collecting the overdue payments.

Additionally, a judge can use a civil contempt of court. This means that when you go to court, a judge will issue a contempt order against the parent who is not paying the child support. When a person is considered to be contempt, it means that they did not do what the court asked them to do.

Lastly, if the child support payments are 30 days and beyond overdue, then you can inquire about finding the parent to be contempt by the lawyer, you or DCSS. It’s important that the noncustodial parent receives a property notice that says they need to appear in court. This contempt request is required to ensure the other parent knows that they are considered to be contempt.

For any additional information on paying child support or you’d like to speak to a lawyer at our family law firm, then please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.