It’s pretty common for someone who has changed their legal name for a marriage, after divorcing to want to change their name back. While the process may differ slightly in your local jurisdiction, it’s a pretty simple to request the divorce court judge to restore your name back to your maiden name. If your divorce is completed and it contains the court order to change your name, that legal document is proof of the name change.

You will just need to get a certified copy of the divorce decree stating the name change to prove it to anyone who needs to change it on documents such as: I.D., bank accounts, bills, etc.

If your divorce decree does not mention a name change, many states will allow you to amend the decree to add this, even after the divorce is finalized. It’s usually just a form you must fill out to amend the documents. If your divorce papers do not show a request for a name change and you cannot have it entered into the court record, you will most likely still be able to restore your old name. If you have some documentation that has your old name on it, such as a birth certificate or passport, then you shouldn’t have much worry. Some states only require that you only start using your old name again and request that your name be changed on all of your personal records.

Since this can usually be handled on the divorce paperwork, there is generally not an additional fee, but this would be something to ask your attorney handling your divorce.

If you have any questions, you should speak to your divorce attorney to make sure the documentation is filled out correctly for your divorce. Making it known that you want to change your name will make it easier for your attorney to make that clear on the divorce documents. At the Law Office of Ronald L. Kossack, we provide a free initial consultation to discuss your family law matter and how we can be of assistance. To speak with a Tempe divorce lawyer about you legal matter contact us online or by calling 480-345-2652.