Many people who marry take their partner’s surname. Most often the wife takes the husband’s name, but there are occasions where a husband will take the wife’s or a same sex couple will decide that one partner will assume the other partner’s name. When a couple divorces, the party that assumed the other’s name might want to revert back to his or her previous name.

How Do I Change my Name in a Divorce?

While the answer to this question may differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, most commonly the only thing that needs to happen is to have the judge presiding over the divorce to issue an order regarding the name to be restored to the previous name. Once this happens, you shouldn’t need any additional paperwork or filings. You should be able to get a copy of the court order to get your name changed on all of your identification, Social Security card, bank accounts, utility bills, or other type of documentation.

What if the judge doesn’t issue an order to change my name?

If your divorce is already finalized and you don’t have an order issued allowing you to revert back to your maiden name, you may be able to file a request that the courts issue one. In some there are forms that are available for just this circumstance ( . If a judge signs off on your request, just as during the divorce proceedings, all you need is a certified copy to begin the process.

If you are having problems securing the proper paperwork to prove your previous name or want to start using a completely different name altogether, you may have some additional requirements, especially if you are an immigrant and don’t have access to these records.

Talk to an experienced Divorce Attorney | Ronald L. Kossack

Consult an attorney to help you through the process. Contact the law offices of Ronald Kossack today to discuss your legal matters and we will work hard to resolve your affairs. Contact us online or by calling 480-345-2652.