There are many things that can occur in your life to cause you to lose income. Life is unpredictable, and it can cause you problems when lose income. If you get a demotion at work, it can cause you a loss in pay. If this happens, you may struggle to be able to meet all of your financial obligations. You may not be able to cover your child support payments, and you need to know whether or not you can change your child support agreement.

It Is Important Not to Stop Making Payments

If you lose income for any reason, it is very important that you do not simply stop making your child support payments. If you stop making your payments, it could cause you to lose custody of your kids or your visitation rights with them. This is the last thing in the world that you want, and you can avoid this as long as you don’t violate your child support agreement.

Get in Front of a Judge

The courts recognize the fact that life is unpredictable, and the legal system has procedures in place to allow you to modify your child support agreement if you have a loss of income. You will need to keep making your payments while you wait to get a hearing with a family courts judge. Once you are in front of the judge, you can make the case for a rearrangement of the child support agreement. You can reduce your child support payments if you have a legitimate cause, and a loss of income due to a demotion at work certainly qualifies.

Get the Help of Legal Experts

In order to protect yourself, you should always consult with an attorney whenever you have to go in front of a judge. When you need to make changes to your child support agreement, you will benefit greatly from enlisting the services of a lawyer who is experienced in family law. When you seek the help of an expert, it allows you to have the best chance of gaining a successful outcome whenever you have to deal with the legal system.

Getting a demotion at work does not have to be the end of the world. It certainly does not have to be the end of seeing your kids. When you follow the proper steps, you can get your child support payments reduced and keep your custody rights in place.

To speak with a lawyer today about modifying a child support arrangement, contact us online or by calling 480-345-2652.