Parents who are no longer together may have a custody and visitation agreement in effect. One of the parents may want to change the terms for the visitation slightly during the summertime when the children are not in school. Such a change is possible, but the non-custodial parent has to go about doing it the proper way. He or she will have to visit the courts and go through a process. The following is some information on how one can change a visitation agreement.

Write Down the Proposed Plan

The non-custodial parent should write down the arrangement that he or she would like to see the courts approve. The non-custodial parent could discuss it with the custodial parent, but no guarantee exists that the custodial parent will agree with it.

File a Motion for a Modification of the Order

The next step in the process is filing a motion for an order modification. The non-custodial parent will want to visit a courthouse and complete the packet of paperwork to file the motion. The parent can add any information that he or she feels is pertinent to the cause. The court will schedule a hearing, and the custodial parent will have a certain amount of time to reply to the request. That person can explain why he or she feels as though the courts should not grant the visitation changes to the non-custodial parent. The judge will hear both sides of the story and make a decision based on his perception of the evidence.

Contact a Family Law Attorney for Assistance

A non-custodial parent should always contact an attorney for assistance with a visitation request. The attorney can help in some ways. First, the attorney can provide mediation services. He or she can act as a go-between for the parties so that they can develop an amicable agreement. The attorney can file the paperwork promptly with the courts, as well, which will take some of the pressure off the client. Finally, the attorney can help to explain the necessity of the change in question.

A non-custodial parent can contact a reliable law office and request an initial consultation. The attorney will provide the person with a reasonable quote that he or she can afford. The attorney will then assist the client in getting his or her needs met, as long as they are in the best interests of the child.