Call Us:
FREE Initial Consultation


  • June 2017 (4)
  • April 2017 (5)
  • March 2017 (5)
  • February 2017 (5)
  • January 2017 (5)
  • December 2016 (5)
  • November 2016 (5)
  • October 2016 (5)
  • September 2016 (5)
  • August 2016 (5)
  • July 2016 (5)
  • June 2016 (5)
  • May 2016 (7)
  • April 2016 (5)
  • March 2016 (5)
  • February 2016 (5)
  • January 2016 (6)
  • December 2015 (5)
  • November 2015 (5)
  • October 2015 (8)
  • September 2015 (3)
  • August 2015 (9)
  • July 2015 (5)
  • June 2015 (5)
  • May 2015 (5)
  • March 2015 (5)
  • February 2015 (5)
  • January 2015 (5)
  • December 2014 (5)
  • November 2014 (5)
  • October 2014 (5)
  • September 2014 (9)
  • July 2014 (5)
  • June 2014 (5)
  • May 2014 (3)
  • January 2014 (1)

  • Areas of Focus

    Contact Us Today

    Law Office of Ronald Kossack
    4645 South Lakeshore Drive, Suite 4
    Tempe, AZ 85282

    Phone: 480-345-2652
    Fax: 480-897-6038

    Reasons for Modifications to Spousal Maintenance Awards

    When a couple divorces, it is not uncommon for one party to provide spousal support to the other. This generally occurs when one spouse was taken out of the workforce or otherwise does not have the financial means to provide for him or herself after the divorce. However, it may be possible to modify such an award for one of several reasons.

    Your Former Spouse Gets Remarried

    If you former spouse gets remarried, it may be possible to end the spousal support in its entirety. It may also be possible to have the support reduced if it can be proven that a boyfriend or girlfriend is providing significant support such as a home to live in or money to pay bills.

    Your Income Has Dropped

    If your income has dropped, it may not be possible to provide as much support to a former spouse. A judge will generally agree to reduce the support payments or agree to a new payment schedule to accommodate a change in financial circumstances. It may be necessary to verify that your income has decreased through no fault of your own to be entitled to a modification for this reason.

    Your Former Spouse Can Provide for Him or Herself

    In the event that your spouse has gotten a new job, an inheritance or another source of income, it may not be necessary to provide support any longer. The process to get a modification in this scenario may be the same as if your income changed. You may be able to go to court to get a judge to sign off on a spousal support modification or perhaps have the support ended entirely.

    Your Spouse Hid Assets or Lied About His or Her Finances

    During a divorce, both parties must disclose all relevant financial information. If a spouse hid assets, it may be grounds to lower or end spousal support. While spousal support is often agreed to by the couple themselves, the amount may be decided by a judge based on state law when the couple cannot agree. The amount of support is generally based on the amount of money each party has. Therefore, hiding assets could artificially inflate the amount of support received from the other spouse. Spousal support can be a great tool for those who need help immediately after a divorce. However, the amount of support can change as circumstances warrant them. If you need help obtaining support or getting a modification, it may be worthwhile to contact a family law attorney.