Call Us:
FREE Initial Consultation


  • June 2017 (4)
  • April 2017 (5)
  • March 2017 (5)
  • February 2017 (5)
  • January 2017 (5)
  • December 2016 (5)
  • November 2016 (5)
  • October 2016 (5)
  • September 2016 (5)
  • August 2016 (5)
  • July 2016 (5)
  • June 2016 (5)
  • May 2016 (7)
  • April 2016 (5)
  • March 2016 (5)
  • February 2016 (5)
  • January 2016 (6)
  • December 2015 (5)
  • November 2015 (5)
  • October 2015 (8)
  • September 2015 (3)
  • August 2015 (9)
  • July 2015 (5)
  • June 2015 (5)
  • May 2015 (5)
  • March 2015 (5)
  • February 2015 (5)
  • January 2015 (5)
  • December 2014 (5)
  • November 2014 (5)
  • October 2014 (5)
  • September 2014 (9)
  • July 2014 (5)
  • June 2014 (5)
  • May 2014 (3)
  • January 2014 (1)

  • Areas of Focus

    Contact Us Today

    Law Office of Ronald Kossack
    4645 South Lakeshore Drive, Suite 4
    Tempe, AZ 85282

    Phone: 480-345-2652
    Fax: 480-897-6038

    My wife is refusing to let me do a paternity test on our child

    If you are a man whose wife is refusing to let you do a paternity test, you have rights that you should know about. Family law can be very complex, and of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to looking into whether you are the biological parent of a child. It is important that you weigh your options before going ahead with a paternity test. For example, if you find that you are the parent, you will have a sound obligation to support that child. If you find that you are not the parent, seeking out rights for visitation will be much more difficult.

    The Paternity Presumption

    Often, the naming of a father is made upon presumption. When a presumption of paternity is made, it is made from one of two facts. A man is assumed to be the parent if he is married to the woman who bears the child, and a man is assumed to be the parent if he is on the birth certificate as the father of the child. If the man is either or both of these things, he is legally obligated to support the child. When a man has a question about paternity, he may request a paternity test. If his wife is refusing to let the paternity test happen, he has options.

    Requesting a Paternity Test

    Most states have an official standing that it is legal for a man to request a paternity test within a certain amount of months from birth. For this reason, it is always recommended that if you have a question about paternity, you get the test done within the proper period of time. If not, the state will regard you as the parent of the child, and you will be legally obligated to pay child support for them.

    When the allotted amount of time has past and you still want to contest paternity, things get a little more difficult, but it can be done. In this case, a paternity test lawsuit will need to be filed, and this should be done with a professional and experienced attorney. Only a legal professional can help you with the proper paperwork as it can often be confusing and challenging.

    Paternity tests are often necessary, but it can be hard to learn and know your rights as a parent and father. Talking to an attorney might help you to figure out difficult situations such as this.

    Contact us at 480.345.2652 or online today to speak with one of our dedicated attorneys.