Areas of Focus
Contact Us Today
Law Office of Ronald Kossack
4645 South Lakeshore Drive, Suite 4
Tempe, AZ 85282
Deciding What’s Best for the Kids First in your Divorce
“I had a really good childhood up until I was nine, then a classic case of divorce really affected me.” – Kurt Cobain
Trey and Kelly met in high school. He was captain of the varsity basketball team, while she was head of the cheer squad. As they lived in a small town, it was obvious to everyone that they were a match made in Heaven. They were married immediately after graduation and embarked on a journey they knew little about: marriage. Within the first five years, they were parents of two boys and drowning in a mountain of debt due to hospital bills and Trey’s plant closing down three years into the marriage. Romantic evenings quickly turned into nights filled with turmoil, yelling and separated sleeping arrangements. The stress was too much for both of them. What originally appeared as the groundwork for a Nicholas Spark film, ended in these two former lovebirds sitting opposite each other at the divorce table, separating property, debt and time with the children.
What About the Kids?
One thing Trey and Kelly understood, was the power of protecting their kids during the divorce. Thankfully, they followed several important points to make the best of a terrible situation.
- Together, they talked through how they would inform their boys of the divorce.
- They reminded their boys they were not the reason for the divorce.
- They reminded their boys that they were loved just as much as before.
- After the divorce, they recognized that visitations were stressful on their kids. They kept all they could, such as school life, the same.
- They allowed their boys to see each parent whenever they wanted, as much as they could.
- They didn’t make promises they couldn’t keep.
- Beyond the divorce, they didn’t communicate messages through the kids and they didn’t say anything negative about the other parent to the kids.
We Won’t Waste Your Time
While these tips are really just the tip of the iceberg, they helped Trey and Kelly to put their kids first and help bring peace to the home. While every divorce situation is different, we can help navigate these treacherous waters with you. At the Law Office of Ronald L. Kossack, we provide a free initial consultation to discuss your family law matter and how we can be of assistance. To speak with a Tempe divorce lawyer about you legal matter contact us online or by calling 480-345-2652.